Keep Kids Warm
Many non-profits exist in Marshfield to help make sure people have foodand shelter. But some people are falling through the cracks. We are seeing alarming changes here in Marshfield. Our 2018 Vital Signs reports on the socioeconomic health of our community:
- The number of children who qualify for free or reduced lunches is increasing in Marshfield; currently there are over 1300 kids who need help.
- We know we have over 102 homeless children.
- Our median income has declined for the last five years, declining 17.5% as compared to the state of Wisconsin and 12.8% as compared to Wood County's median income..
- 1 out of every 5 children, right here in Marshfield, is living in poverty. 50% of all Food Share recipients are 24 years old or younger.
- 26% of our 8th, 10th, and 12th grade students reported that they did not have enough food to eat within the last 30 days.
Beginning in 1993, in honor of our 20th Anniversary, we are undertook a new project. We wanted to insure that children have a warm winter coat, boots, mittens, snow pants and the things all students need to be successful. We gave out new or gently used coats, hatsand mittens to about 400 children this year. Since we began the program we have helped over 1800 children.
Thanks to your generous donations we were able to give $16,600 to help the Nutrition on Weekend program through the Marshfield United Way. The need has grown by leaps and bounds.
First Presbyterian Church has generously offered us space to give the coats away and our local Associated bank has provided storage space for our supplies. We rely on a team of comm unity volunteers to help us buy and distribute coats.
Please consider donating new coats or cash for us to make these purchases.
Might you be willing to help?
All help is appreciated, and you may do any of the following to assist:
- Donate cash or checks. Make checks payable to Marshfield Area Community Foundation, Inc. and write "Keep Kids Warm" on the memo line. Send to P.O. Box 456, Marshfield WI 54449.
- Donate new or gently used warm clothing.
- Donate online via PayPal by clicking the "Donate" button on the bottom of our website.
Full donation details can be reviewed on the Contribute page.